Monday, January 15, 2007

Identity

s4dfish and Wiffle both tagged me with the "Five Things You Don't Know About Me" meme that has been wandering the blogs.

It occurs to me that most of you don't really know anything about me. Do you know my name? Gender? Race? Occupation? Where I live? Democrat or Republican? Liberal or Conservative? Labour or Tory?

I'm sure that most of you can make guesses for most of these, and some of those guesses might be close (heh, given my views on loot distribution, it's pretty unlikely I'm a hardcore communist). But realistically, all you should know for sure is that I play a paladin in World of Warcraft. And to a large extent, this is deliberate.

When I started this blog, I decided to make it as focused as I could. Concentrating solely on WoW, and not discussing anything else in the world. As well, this is the Internet, and--as legions of forum posts about men playing women playing elves will attest to--identity is a very complex topic.

Does knowing more about me change the meaning of what I write? Does realizing that I'm a time traveller from the future working on restoring Canterbury Cathedral change anything? (If it does, I'm probably in a world of trouble.) Or is identity an essential piece of context necessary for truely understanding my position?

I'm not really sure what the answer is either, and in some ways this blog is an experiment in many things, one of which is writing semi-anonymously.

I guess this is just a long way of saying that I will not be participating in this particular meme. However, many thanks to those who tagged me.

7 comments:

  1. Meh! Waaaa. Cop-out.

    Come on... It's a harmless, fun little game.

    Little wonder you're playing a Paladin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While you don't reveal anything about your actual identity, this post speaks volumes about who you are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've all got to be kidding... refusal to participate in something like the tagging isn't indicative of any negative personality traits, nor is it a cop out.

    Besides, it's amazing how much information you can find on a person with small tidbits provided. The GSH signature is clearly his initials. Clearly, those initials stand for Glenn Shaniqua Hagenthorpe. He's a twenty-something gentleman born to an older English gentleman and his Black mistress, whom he met at a flea market.

    They were initially going to name the child after the mother's mother, but that didn't work out so they used it as a middle name instead.

    That's clearly who the blogger is. How do you guys not pick up on this stuff?

    Qhoryn - Paladin, Mug'thol

    ReplyDelete
  4. My last reply was mean to be a POSITIVE one, sorry if I was vague.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ... my post was meant to be completely serious, I hope you took it that way.

    Qhoryn - Paladin, Mug'thol

    ReplyDelete
  6. "You've all got to be kidding... refusal to participate in something like the tagging isn't indicative of any negative personality traits, nor is it a cop out."
    That is the part to which I was replying and which I assumed was serious. The rest I knew was a joke, and I appreciated the humor in it.

    ReplyDelete