Wednesday, August 27, 2008

WotLK Beta - 68 Hunter Experience

Wrath has been interesting, but it is a little weird to be testing with an epic-geared character. I decided to see what it would be like with a lower level character. I had a 68 hunter, in mostly quest greens, that I transferred over and started doing questing.

So far on Beta, it's been pretty smooth. The quests are all doable for a character of that gear level, and it's very nice getting quest rewards and equipping them right away. The low level gear also looks pretty decent, even the Elemental Shaman chestpiece I accidently picked up and equipped. (I'm looking at the stats on my gear: AP, haste, crit, more AP, spellpower ... what the?)

Corissa and her pet ravager, Fluffy

My hunter is normally Beastmaster, but I tried out Survival. I love Explosive Shot. It's like a shot that hits the mob three times for significant damage each time (shares a cooldown with Arcane Shot) I have the suspicion that it's doing excessive damage, but it's awesome. First off, there's a bug with pets and Growl (or maybe Cower) and they can't hold aggro very well. So I mark the mob, Serpent Sting them, and auto-shot until they start running to me, then Explosive Shot them and let them die as they reach me. Hilarious, especially combined with the Lock and Load talent that gives me free Explosive Shots 30% of the time when I sting the mob.

The only thing is that Survival is a little mana-intensive at the moment. Part of that is that I can't use Steady Shot and gain mana back from Hunting Party as it will rip the mob off my pet and I'll end up having to melee. It's too bad, as Steady Shot has been unlinked from Auto-shot, and is now very easy to use. No more weaving or macroing. I'd love to see what sort of damage I could get from a rotation like Mark, Serpent Sting, Explosive Shot, Steady Shot x2-3, Explosive Shot, etc. Just need an actual tank.

Still, it's fun, and is pretty smooth for a character not decked out in epics. As well, levels 68-70 go by pretty fast. I hit 70 while still in the middle of the first zone.

8 comments:


  1. First off, there's a bug with pets and Growl (or maybe Cower) and they can't hold aggro very well.


    Isn't that the infamous "growl no longer scales with AP" adjustment?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, it's likely the bug with Cower automatically turning back on every time you do... uh, anything.

    Pretty much every time the pet spawns, there's a problem where Cower may reactivate Auto-Cast. It should be fixed in the next build or 2.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I'd love to see what sort of damage I could get from a rotation like Mark, Serpent Sting, Explosive Shot, Steady Shot x2-3, Explosive Shot, etc. Just need an actual tank"

    Or, good old Dr. Boom, perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, good call. I forgot about Dr. Boom. Hopefully the DPS meter I have works properly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. > The quests are all doable for a character of that gear level

    You're a hunter. Easy-soloing is practically a class description :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rohan,

    I'm not in beta, so I can't tell you exactly what to use, but check out one of the "tenacity" pets (I think that's the term). I believe a ravager is listed as a "ferocity" pet which is dps. "Tenacity" pets (if I have the word right) are tanking pets, and you can train him in tanking skills so he'll (or SHE'LL?!?!) be able to hold aggro from you even when using steady shot.

    Read some BRK and read some Less QQ more PewPew because they're both writing HEAVILY about the beta right now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's more likely a bug. I'm pulling aggro with Autoshot, which even a Tenacity pet should be able to handle.

    If this is intended, that you cannot solo with Tenacity or Ferocity pets, then it is a very bad design decision.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Rohan

    I absolutely love tenacity pets and would recommend all hunter's to give them a whirl! If your'e looking for more information on tenacity pets, check out my link.

    ReplyDelete