Monday, August 22, 2011

Ragnaros Redux

Alternate Title: Molten Core was merely a setback.

I really like the new Ragnaros fight.

I'm not 100% sure why though. It's not too stressful. There's some randomness, notably where the hammer lands and where the engulfing flames appear. But the randomness is very controllable.

I like the Sons phase. It's a nice nod to the old fight, with an interesting mechanic. Plus, I get to Hammer of Justice something.

The pace of the fight moves nicely, and the last phase (in normal) builds to a nicely chaotic ending, as there are lava waves and giant boulders flying around.

In some respects, it reminds me of Moroes back in TBC. It's a fight that you win because you do all the little things right. You keep the raid healed up, you dodge the fire, you burst down the Sons, you pop traps appropriately, you kite meteors properly.

It's very much a fight that when you beat it, you know you deserved to beat it. Your raid gains mastery over the fight as you learn it phase by phase.

About the only disappointing thing is the lack of RP with Ragnaros. I loved the old Ragnaros RP to start the attempts. I'd quote it along with him and Majordomo Executus when we first the triggered the fight. In fact, I'm going to quote it in this post because it's just that awesome:
Majordomo Executus yells: Imprudent whelps! You've rushed headlong to your own deaths! See now, the master stirs!
Majordomo Executus yells: Behold Ragnaros - the Firelord! He who was ancient when this world was young! Bow before him, mortals! Bow before your ending!

Ragnaros yells: TOO SOON! YOU HAVE AWAKENED ME TOO SOON, EXECUTUS! WHAT IS THE MEANING OF THIS INTRUSION?

Majordomo Executus yells: These mortal infidels, my lord! They have invaded your sanctum and seek to steal your secrets!

Ragnaros yells: FOOL! YOU ALLOWED THESE INSECTS TO RUN RAMPANT THROUGH THE HALLOW CORE? AND NOW YOU LEAD THEM TO MY VERY LAIR? YOU HAVE FAILED ME, EXECUTUS! JUSTICE SHALL BE MET, INDEED!

Ragnaros kills Executus.

Ragnaros yells: NOW FOR YOU, INSECTS! BOLDLY, YOU SOUGHT THE POWER OF RAGNAROS. NOW YOU SHALL SEE IT FIRSTHAND!

Sadly, Firelands lacks anything this stylish (which, to be fair, is a really high bar). Apparently some crazy stuff happens in Heroic mode, but that's Heroic Mode.

So that's Ragnaros. Awesome fight, but I miss the introduction.

10 comments:

  1. That, and the introduction to the Vael fight in Blackwing Lair, were beyond legendary. Great days indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After farming the bindings and the eye of rag for legendaries, a "skip to the end" option would have been good. Agree though, the fight felt immense at 60, and I still remember being scared witless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The introduction was what set the fight apart. That, and all the emotes during the fire: "BY FIRE, BE PURGED!!"

    I was also a little disappointed that they did not bring back an upgraded version of Sulfuras, the Hand of Ragnaros from the vanilla days. That weapon was all the rage!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am still EXTREMELY pissed that oyu don't actually kill ragnaros on normal mode. I should be excited as hell that my guild is currently on ragnaros progression, but I am so apathetic just becuase I know you get him to 10% and he says "lol, come back on heroic noob!" and drops a chest for some reason.

    The fight itself though is quite fun, we've only gotten to the 2nd transition phase but you're absolutely right in that it feels like you beat it by doing everything right and not by lucking out. I quite enjoyed majordomo and alysrazor too, much better than the first few fights in FL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah like Carson said, the introduction made those both fights really special. But I would add Mimiron especially the hardmode, Thorim and Algalon were also great fights that are in the same league with the both you already mentioned.

    Regarding Ragnaros 2.0:
    The encounter is really well designed even the normal mode (don't have hardmode expierence yet). One of the best encounters Blizzard made so far but it lacks the Epicness of the first fight, maybe because I feel the location is a bit to open, and then... Ragnaros is patiently and silently waiting for the bunch of random heros to show up? Maybe even the volume and the reverbeffect on the voice was a bit better in vanilla, next time i try the encounter with a higher soundsetting maybe this will help a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that complexity of fight and the resulting big number of attempts required is the reason for removing roleplay.
    After spending 88 attempts on Lich King heroic, his introductory "When my work is complete, you will beg for mercy -- and I will deny you" really made me beg for mercy, namely the option of turning off 1-minute intro.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anon, heh, that's true. But the original Ragnaros intro only happened once, at the start of the night. Probably made a great deal of difference in keeping us from getting tired of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know of folks who repeatedly reported Ragnaros for yelling since his text was all in capitals ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Why do bosses always one-shot their minions, yet can't do the same to the raid group?

    Algalon's intro was pretty epic; Kaelthas's was just very whiny and very boring!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I miss the music. There was something about the music leading down to Ragnaros of old that gave me butterflies in my stomach. I was so disappointed that it wasn't there this time round.

    ReplyDelete