Sunday, May 06, 2012

Advice to New Bloggers

So there's a New Blogger Initiative making the rounds. I was thinking about writing some advice, but I remembered that I've pretty much written all the advice I can think of before:
My advice is pretty basic. Keep things simple. Write steadily. Write for yourself.

For the write steadily part, I'm trying a new lifestyle technique for getting things done. It's called Don't Break The Chain, as advocated by Jerry Seinfeld. 

The idea is that you pick two or three activities that you want to improve on. For example, maybe cleaning/housework and blogging. Then say that you will spend 15 minutes every day on those activities, basically doing one small piece of the job. Then get a calendar, and every day you do the activity, you mark it off with a big red X.

The idea is to get into the daily habit, with the visual feedback of the calendar to spur you. Plus, it's only 15 minutes, which seems like a small amount of time. But you can get a lot done if you do those 15 minutes every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment