Monday, October 22, 2018

"All-left" Talents in Battle For Azeroth

I've been playing a few alts and secondary specs recently. One interesting thing is all specializations appear to have a baseline build where you just take the left-hand side talents. These talents are all passives, and the resulting builds are actually really fun.

They are all focused on the core elements of the specialization. This type of build may not be the highest performing build, but they're simple and easy to use.  They're probably a little too simple for someone's main spec, but I think they're perfect for alts or specs that you rarely play. Or even for weaker players.

For example, I was in a group for timewalking, and we needed a tank. Tanking is my least-played specialization. I hadn't actually tanked anything yet this expansion, though I had been picking up Azerite pieces and weapons. But I grabbed all the left talents and gave tanking timewalking dungeons a whirl. And it worked very well. That build was easy to play, and did a good enough job.

I did a similar experiment with my tank-spec demon hunter that I've started to level in BfA. The "all-left" build is quite fun. Fast leaps with flame crashes automatically adding Sigils is quite good while levelling.

Once again, though, these builds generally have one or two main buttons less than a regular build. This is good for weaker players, or less played classes/specs, because you don't have to remember how everything works. However, they're only "good enough", and are probably not strong enough for heroic raiding or mythic+.

6 comments:

  1. Have you tried all the classes?
    Because when I was soloing Stay Classy achievement, I had to repeatedly create and play the same classes over and over and I was trying to enable mostly passives and it didn't work out. I had to choose center and right talents, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I tried Demon Hunter, mage, warrior, and I think assassination rogue. I don't have that many alts.

      What classes didn't really work for you?

      Delete
  2. My first thought when I started reading this post was when did WoW introduced left and right handedness into WoW? Then I read what you really meant, and said "Oh...."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh. I couldn't think of a better way to describe the situation.

      Delete
  3. That sounds really useful. Especially for Altoholics. On the other hand I always had the impression that the meta changed so quickly between bigger patches that it was easier to just have some guides on e.g. Icy Veins bookmarked and adjust the talents from time to time. Yes, I'm prone to leave my unimportants alts collecting dust for *months*.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, you can always pull up a modern guide. But guides usually focus on best performance, not ease of play.

      Though lately some guides do seem to be adding "simple builds".

      Delete