Monday, February 11, 2019

Guild Implosion

The first raid night in Battle for Dazalor we had a whopping 29 people in the raid. Three weeks later, we had 11, and the guild leadership decided to swap factions and transfer servers. I am not really certain what exactly happened.

Or, well, I guess I do know. In Legion, we were a Heroic raiding guild. In Battle for Azeroth, it was decided to push for Mythic raiding. We didn't do too badly in Uldir, going 3/8 Mythic.

But before Dazalor, our long-time guild leaders decided that we were getting too hardcore for their tastes, and stepped down. After the first couple of raids, a large chunk of our best raiders decided that we weren't going to be good enough and split off. Then another, newer, group decided our times were not right for them, and they left too.

So then the leadership and core raid team decided to go Horde, since many of them wanted to play on that faction, and transferred to a larger server, hopefully with better recruiting prospects. This happened super-fast. They announced it Saturday afternoon, and people were transferring in the evening.

I have an invitation to join them, but I'm a little unsure what to do. I've raided with several of these guys for two years now. They're good people, and I enjoy playing with them. 

But I really don't want to faction-swap Coriel. I suppose I could transfer or level a Horde character, even another paladin.

The other thing is that, looking back at my tenure in this guild, I preferred it as it existed in Legion. Focused on Heroic raids, 2 nights a week. I didn't mind Mythic raiding at 3 nights a week, especially since many other people in the guild wanted to try it, and I enjoyed raiding with them. But I did like the Heroic version of the guild better.

Hmm, perhaps writing this post has made things clearer to me. I want to find a decent Alliance Heroic guild, but one with zero intention of going to Mythic. Maybe one willing to "graduate" extremely good players, and help them find a spot in a Mythic guild, but able to resist the pressure from those good players to have the guild go Mythic.

9 comments:

  1. My guild raids Monday and Thursday, 8:30-11:30 Pacific. We're Alliance on Proudmoore and we're pretty firmly a heroic guild. We do clear the new raids on normal before really starting heroic, and we sometimes talk about killing easy mythic bosses if the numbers are available. (We have yet to set foot in a mythic while it was current content.)

    We're pretty laid back overall. We have no strict loot rules, for example, and several casual raiders that drop in and out.

    Our biggest drawback is that there aren't a lot of people online regularly during non-raid times. We've always had that issue, but BfA has exacerbated it.

    Our out-of-date website is gtguild.org, if you would like more information, or I would be happy to chat with you or get you into a raid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the invite, but it looks like the long-time guild leaders came back and reforming the guild with the people who didn't transfer.

      I really liked the guild as it was in Legion, so I may stick around and see what their plans are.

      Delete
  2. Well that stinks... also something that seemed to happen every expansion while I was still raiding. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, it seems to happen every other expansion for me. I think the issue is that we're consistently successful in one expansion, so we look to take the "next step" in the following expansion, and then things fall apart.

      Delete
  3. Best of luck, Rohan. Guild implosions are never fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind wishes. Yeah, implosions are never fun.

      Delete
  4. Meh, that sucks. Reading the other comments, good luck - I hope it pans out.

    I do wonder what your take on the difficulty settings in raiding are now?
    The last ones I did was in MoP - halfway through ToT and SoO in Heroic. Am I mistaken that pre-WoD Heroic raiding was roughly the same difficulty as Mythic is now?
    Is there more prestige involved? How does new Heroic compare to old normal? Is it more difficult? I'm kind of out of touch :|

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm. Mythic is roughly equivalent to Old-Heroic. New-Heroic is roughly equal to Old-Normal. New-Normal is basically a new difficulty aimed at "friends and family guilds" who want to raid together. There is some overlap at the edges, like the last boss on New Normal is about the same as as an early Old-Normal boss.

      The major difference, though, is in admin and raid-size. New-Heroic and New-Normal are "flex" raids. You can take anywhere from 10 to 30 people, and the instance will scale. So you don't need a bench, and can be far more lax on attendance. Everyone who shows up gets to raid.

      Mythic raiding requires exactly 20 people. So you need high attendance, a bench, and all that structure.

      Delete
    2. Right, thanks. That's about how I remembered, but these days I'm not talking to many raiders :P I had totally forgotten about the flex thing, for example - although I'm pretty sure I did one or two normal ones in Legion. Ah well, as soon as I transitioned to a dirty casual I can't even remember all this stuff :P

      Delete