Monday, November 25, 2013

Ever, Jane Kickstarter

I like Regency novels, so I was intrigued when I saw the Kickstarter for Ever, Jane. This is the first Kickstarter that I have contributed to. They are aiming to build an MMO based around Jane Austen's novels, with a specific focus on social interaction and manners.

They have a demo, which is pretty rough around the edges, but is still interesting.

Honestly, I am not too sure how successful this project will be. However, I think the MMO world does need some work on non-combat systems.

Combat systems are very well developed these days, with lots of variations, types and experimentation. Of course, there are many good reasons this is so. But non-combat systems are much less advanced. There has been some interesting developments in crafting and economic systems. Still, these systems, and even social systems tend to be far more rudimentary than the combat systems in most games.

My hope is that a game like Ever, Jane, with strong connections to the source material, might come up with a good, interesting social mechanic. Something the larger games will find worth stealing.

1 comment:

  1. I think non-combat based activities represent great untapped potential in MMOs. But introducing these as significant game systems to modern popular MMO RPGs ... well I don't see it happening anytime soon (outside of housing that is).

    We even fight mobs when we harvest plants on the farm in Halfhill. I'm surprised we don't need to fight the barber to death everytime we want a new haircut. :P

    ReplyDelete