Tuesday, September 04, 2012

A Thousand Posts

Apparently, this is my 1000th post.  It's been about seven years since I started this blog.

Currently Playing

I'm currently playing The Old Republic the most, and have joined a small raiding guild. I still have subscriptions to WoW and The Secret World, but I haven't really played them in a while. WoW I will go back to in Pandaria, but I'm not really sure about joining a guild or raiding. I probably will end up joining a guild, but we'll see.

In the The Old Republic, I'm playing an Imperial Agent Sniper, and also leveling a Sith Inquisitor Sorceror on the side.

For The Secret World, I dunno. I went Illuminati because they had good rifle decks, but the Illuminati are starting to annoy me. Their Hollywood or Corporate-speak is rather grating. I wish I had rolled Templar.

Trends in MMOs

Of course, the big trend in MMOs over the last seven years has been the move to Free-2-Play.

However, I wonder if this is just part of a larger trend to ... reduce a player's commitment to the MMO, might be the best way of putting it. To make it easier to play and join the game, to drop in and out. To smooth away all inconveniences that might stop someone from playing, or cause them to quit. Going F2P, making the game easier, avoiding conflicts in loot and resource gathering.

I'm not sure how well this trend is working out though. To me, an MMO is kind of like the bar in Cheers. A place where you sign in, and you see the same faces in the community, and everybody knows your name. But lately, it seems like that feeling has been disappearing. That rather than a community, it is an anonymous crowd.

To go back to the Extended/Transient division, it feels like games are becoming more and more Transient. Which is good, I suppose, as Transient players are the large majority. And yet to me it feels like the Extended aspects are what gave the game weight, what made it worth subscribing to for months on end.

The other big trend, which is annoying me, is loading screens. Whatever happened to seamless continents?

Conclusions

I hope you've enjoyed the last thousand posts. Hopefully there will be a thousand more, and in less than seven years. (Though I really wouldn't bet on the "less than seven years" part.) I've enjoyed reading your comments and emails, and the blogs of other players.

I'm also thinking about starting another blog. This would be about real life stuff I find interesting, like programming, politics, books, etc. I've been thinking about this for a while now, but am procrastinating because I cannot think of a decent name for the new blog.

15 comments:

  1. Congratulations, 1K posts is a huge achievement.
    I have a inkling that the consumers are changing style of what games they are interested in; its almost like the gamer's flavour has shifted to where its less about old school dnd players who use a game, to twitch gamers with short attention spans - yet deep immersion is written on the boxes. I dont know; ya'know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always enjoy the posts, and already looking forward to the next 1000! Take it easy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "... an MMO is kind of like the bar in Cheers."

    Yesssssss.

    Congratulations on the 1000 posts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. One thousand posts! Amazing! Big congratulations.

    And I agree that games are becoming more transient, but we can still make our own fun by deciding to commit to them anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's good reading - congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have always enjoyed your blog. It tends to make me think about things and if nothing else it opens up other perspectives.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats! And I thought you might enjoy hanging out with a raid guild in SWTOR, will be interested to hear how you find those raids.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rohan, if you give us a clue as to what politics you would be discussing on the new blog, we may be able to help with a name. For instance, which is more important to you: Freedom? or Equality?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Actually, right now, I want to write more about programming. I just want to write about non-game stuff. But the topic is so general, that coming up with a decent name is hard.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rohan's Programming Blog? Nice, simple, elegant - just like programming should be.

    Alternatively, Ones and Zeros.

    What sort of programming are you currently doing?

    ReplyDelete
  11. See, that's the thing, I don't want it to be just about programming. Sometimes, I'd like to write about something else.

    I'm a Java business programmer doing financial type software. Pretty boring and less advanced compared to most of the programming blogs out there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL, get some attitude about you, Rohan. Call it Rohan's Unified Theory of Everything and then start to lay the smack down.

    On an unrelated note, do you know how many geeks it takes to ruin a joke?

    Firstly, it's nerd, not geek. Secondly, it's a riddle, not a joke. Now, proceed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations!

    While I can't really remember when I started following this blog I've always enjoyed your posts, so rock on :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think you nailed why I won't be going back to WoW in this post. The DnD aspect is all but gone.

    grats on 1k!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gotta admit I'm a newcomer to your blog but it's good to know you've kept on trucking for 7 years and 1000 posts. Keep up the good work and congrats! ^_^

    ReplyDelete